Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Day 5 - Sea of Galilee, Mt Beatitudes, Capernaum and Golan Heights

Today was an easier day lots of driving.   Our driver and guide is Ronnie an Israeli who has fought in the army and his children have trained too. The car we're in hasn't got very good seat belts but it seems like a very strong sturdy and good car.

Firstly we drove down to the Sea of Galilee and we enjoyed a boat ride.   It was fun as we joined in with a South African group who did some singing and dancing.    We initially stood to attention for our national anthems as our flags were raised.  The  Jewish crew sang and got some of our group to dance, which went quite fast so I backed out quickly. It was good to watch.   I went into the shop and bought a couple of things then we drove up to Mount Beatitudes where Jesus gave what they call the 8 blessings.... blessed are the meek....
blessed are the poor...

It was quite relaxed I remember it being quite busy last time. I didn't recognise the entrance and apparently they've moved the whole thing around so I don't know how they could do that,  not the church but just  the entrance and statue.   When I mentioned it to Ronnie he just laughed and said are you sure you been to Israel? We drove to Capernaum  next and saw the house where Peter lived.   A church has been built over it.  We went inside and viewed the largest synagogue built in that time.   Historians think it was built as a snub to the Christians in the area.   Again it was relaxed and we drove to another church to view beautiful mosaics.   Then we drove up to the Golan Heights. We heard gunshots and also a grenade? going off but it was only the Israelis practicing so that was a relief. Sometimes they do hear and see fighting on the Syrian border.  We didn't see any but we were quite close and Ronnie shared the history.   We're going to a lecture tonight.   Tomorrow morning we are leaving early with our bags to make our way back to Tel Aviv.
Shalom

No comments: